[whatwg] HTML5 Video - Issue and Request for improvment

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 02:45:05 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Lubomir Toshev <lubo_toshev at dir.bg> wrote:
> We were trying to add support for subtitles for our player control that uses
> video tag as its base. There are two popular subtitle formats *.srt which
> uses currentTime to show the subtitles where they should be. Like 0:01:00 -
> 0:01:30 - "What a nice hotel." While the other popular format is *.sub which
> uses the currentFrame to show the proper subtitles. Like {45600}, {45689} -
> "What a nice hotel". And if I want to add this support it would be good if
> video tag exposes currentFrame, so that I can show properly the subtitles in
> a span positioned over the video. Now does it make more sense?

If you know the frame rate at which that MicroDVD format was authored,
you can easily calculate the time offset. If you don't know that, a
frame number will not mean anything.

You can also use converters to go from your existing subtitle format
to WebVTT or to a single format that you support - that would probably
make a lot more sense.

Cheers,
Silvia.