[whatwg] Proposal for a MediaSource API that allows sending media data to a HTMLMediaElement

Aaron Colwell acolwell at google.com
Mon Jul 11 11:42:59 PDT 2011

Hi,

Based on comments in the File API Streaming
Blobs<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-January/029973.html>
thread and
my Extending HTML 5 video for adaptive
streaming<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-June/032277.html>
thread,
I decided on taking a stab at writing a MediaSource API
spec<http://html5-mediasource-api.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/draft-spec/mediasource-draft-spec.html>
for
streaming data to a media tag.

Please take a look at the
spec<http://html5-mediasource-api.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/draft-spec/mediasource-draft-spec.html>and
provide some feedback.

I've tried to start with the simplest thing that would work and hope to
expand from there if need be. For now, I'm intentionally not trying to solve
the generic streaming file case because I believe there might be media
specific requirements around handling seeking especially if we intend to
support non-packetized media streams like WAV.

If the feedback is generally positive on this approach, I'll start working
on patches for WebKit & Chrome so people can experiment with an actual
implementation.

Thanks,
Aaron