[whatwg] Why is @scoped required for <style> as flow content?

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 24 18:37:43 PDT 2011

On 3/24/11 9:29 PM, Nicholas Zakas wrote:

> works just fine in browsers today
 > and the style information is applied to the entire document.

And it continues to work when they implement the proposed spec, yes.

> This is considered invalid HTML5 (tested using html5.validator.nu) because the scoped attribute is missing.

Right.

> Fixing the issue results in:

The correct fix for this issue is to put this <style> in the <head>,
isn't it?  Why would would you fix it by adding @scoped?

> It seems like the scoped attribute should be optional when<style>  is used as flow content

What are the use cases for wanting this?

> while also ensuring that the spec reflects current browser behavior.

The part of the spec that defines what browsers are supposed to do
already reflects current browser behavior.

There's a difference between specifying what browsers should do and
deciding what markup is valid.  For example, if we consider this markup:

then the spec defines that browsers should render it so that it is
self-describing (which they do).  But the markup is nevertheless invalid.

> Pleasant side effect is that everyone with<style>  as flow content will have on less validation error to worry about.

That would be one reason to allow <style> as flow content: so that
legacy pages that use it thus don't need to change anything.

However such pages don't care about validating anyway, since in HTML4
about making it easier for them to validate?

Are there any other reasons to allow <style> as flow content?  That is,
are there good use cases for it?

-Boris