[whatwg] Control over selection direction

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 3 16:49:59 PDT 2011

(This thread started talking about the text field selection API, but
several posts discussed changes to the range API instead, apparently due
to some miscommunication. I have ignored the posts that referred to the
range API. I recommend following up with the editor(s) of the DOM Range
spec if changes are desired to that spec.)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Marijn Haverbeke wrote:

> Another relevant precedent is window.getSelection().modify (Webkit and
> Gecko-2 specific), which uses the strings "forward" and "backward" to
> specify the direction in which to alter the selection. [...]

I've added selectionDirection = 'forward'/'backward'/'none'. ('none' is
the default selection direction on Mac OS.)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> Yes, but it's more redundant.  The exposed properties would no longer be
> orthogonal -- changing one would have to change the others, and it's not
> intuitively obvious in some cases how they should change. E.g., suppose
> selectionAnchor == 5, selectionFocus == 8, so the selection is forward.
> Now I set selectionStart = 4.  Does this give me selectionAnchor == 4
> and selectionFocus == 8 (so it's the same as changing selectionAnchor),
> or does it give selectionAnchor == 8 and selectionFocus == 4 (changing
> direction to backwards because I extended backwards), or maybe
> selectionAnchor == 5 and selectionFocus == 4 (behaving like extend())?
>
> If we just have a boolean, it's unambiguous: the properties are all
> logically separate.  We don't want to emulate the DOM selection API, IMO
> -- it's ridiculously complex for minimal functionality gain, even
> accounting for the fact that it has to deal with nodes as well as
> offsets.  Save authors the pain, if they only have to deal with text
> fields.

These proposals seem more complicated than necessary.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Kornel LesiÅ~Dski wrote:

> Would you use [the direction] in cases other than restoring previous
> selection?
>
> If not, maybe methods to save/restore selection or modify content
> without removing selection would be better? (this would allow browsers
> to support multiple selected ranges, block selection in multiline
> inputs, etc.)
>
> var previousSelection = input.currentSelection; // opaque object describing properties of selection
> input.value = 'foo';
> input.currentSelection = previousSelection;

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Marijn Haverbeke wrote:

> My typical use case is that I mess with the content of the input, and
> then restore the selection. For example, after adding three characters
> to the front, I then restore selectionStart and selectionEnd by adding
> three to their original values. It seems that simply saving and
> restoring a selection does not address this case.

Having an API that directly addresses the use case seems better, but it's
unclear how to do it in this case, since the direction has to "move" to
take into account changes to the text. So I haven't gone this route.