[whatwg] Fullscreen changes to support <dialog>

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 10:31:22 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 01:14:43 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>>
>> If this works, then I'll use this for <dialog>.
>
> How does this work for nested browsing contexts? Currently using <iframe
> allowfullscreen> (not in HTML yet) you can fullscreen elements embedded via
> an <iframe>. Would we then have to push the <iframe> element on the stack
> and make its height and width cover the viewport, and then push the element
> in question inside the <iframe> on the stack, or do we want to deal with
> this in another way?

The thinking so far is that we don't do anything special for dialogs.
They don't escape their <iframe>, and the <iframe> doesn't have any
special response to a dialog spawning within it, unlike for
fullscreen.

> Which pseudo-classes are we keeping? :fullscreen still seems useful,
> :fullscreen-ancestor probably not. What are the new default styles going to
> be?

In the www-style thread I gave a proposal for the new styling. I'll
reproduce it here:

:fullscreen {
 position: fixed;
 top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;
}

:fullscreen::backdrop {
 position: fixed;
 top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;
 background: black;
}

dialog[modal] {
 position: center;
}

dialog[modal]::backdrop {
 position: fixed;
 top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;
}

I'm not 100% certain these are correct (in particular, Hixie says that
using position:center for the dialog[modal] is bad, and that we
instead want abspos with a specialized "static position"), but it's a
start.

As far as I can tell, you're right that we no longer need the
:fullscreen-ancestor pseudo.

~TJ