[whatwg] Administrivia

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Apr 23 14:38:19 PDT 2012

Last year the W3C introduced a new framework for people developing
specifications, which they call "Community Groups" (CGs). Since then we
have moved a few parts of the HTML standard under CGs, most notably
Aryeh's HTML Editing APIs specification [1], which replaced the old
execCommand() spec in the HTML standard.

The main advantage of doing this is that it means we have a clear patent
policy. Historically, we've relied on the W3C HTML working group for this,
but as the W3C has focused on stablising their HTML5 snapshot, newer
features have not enjoyed the same coverage.

To address this, today I have started the process of forming a community
group for the rest of the WHATWG work. This will basically have no effect
on how the WHATWG operates, except that when we make use of the W3C
Community Group "Final Specification Agreement" (FSA) mechanism, anyone
who wishes to co-sign the agreement [2] will be invited to do so.

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/editing/raw-file/tip/editing.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/final/