[whatwg] Request for new DOM property textarea.selectionText

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Apr 27 21:01:49 PDT 2012

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Biju wrote:

> Can we have a new DOM property textarea.selectionText which can be used
> to set/get selection text of a TEXTAREA/INPUT type=text.

Gettng the value is relatively easy:

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Biju wrote:

> Current way in firefox is to
>
> 1. OrigStart = textarea.selectionStart

But admittedly setting it is a pain:

> 2.  textarea.value = textarea.value.substr(0, OrigStart)
>                           + new_text_to_replace
>                           + textarea.value.substr(textarea.selectionEnd);
> 3. Now u loose original selection, so
>
> 4.  textarea.setSelectionRange(OrigStart,  OrigStart+new_text_to_replace.length)
> 5.  remember .scrollTop and reapply if needed

I agree that making this easier would be good.

> On IE even though wierd you can do it simply by
>    document.selection.createRange().text = new_text_to_replace;
> BTW, you need to make sure the selection is currently on the
> textarea/input form control.
> IE is also very fast when doing that, when firefox hangs few second
> using the other way

IE's version is non-standard and not adopted by other UAs.

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Biju wrote:

> Both have advantages
>
> Option 1 (textobj.selectionText) advantages
> * No need for web developer to provide selection start/end
> * Automatically select the newly inserted text,
>    (as most time that is what you want)
> * No need for web developer to calculate selection start/end for
> setting it after text insert
> * preserve scroll
> * Has both Getter and Setter
>
> Option 2 (textobj.setRangeText(start, end, text)); advantages
> * Independent of selection, web developer can change text at any range
>    with out affecting selection
> * Web developer has more options with it.
> * preserve scroll
>
> So I want to merge both suggestion, with a new signature,
> also trying to reduce coding for web developer "less code less bug"
>
> textobj.setRangeText(newtext, start, end, cursorpos)
>
> parameters:
> newtext
>  - optional parameter
>  - new text that will replace existing
>  - if missing/null/undefined/NaN then default to ""
>
> start
>  - optional parameter
>  - starting position of the original textobj text that need to be replaced
>  - if missing/null/undefined/NaN then default to textobj.selectionStart
>  - negative value make start position from last character in the text content
>
> end
>  - optional parameter
>  - ending position of the original textobj text that need to be replaced
>  - if missing/null/undefined/NaN then default to textobj.selectionEnd
>  - negative value make end position from last character
>
> cursorpos
>  - optional parameter
>  - if missing/null/undefined/NaN then default to 0
>  - what should happen to cursor/selection after text insert, its values are
>  - - 0 - select the newly inserted text
>  - - 1 - place cursor at beginning of inserted text
>  - - 2 - place cursor at the end of inserted text
>  - - 3 - keep selection unaffected
> * issue, when value is 3 what should we do when setRangeText is replacing text
> which has some parts selected and some other parts unselected
>

> so if somebody want replace selection text it is just
>      textobj.setRangeText(newtext);
> which is almost same as my original proposal, and
>      textobj.setRangeText();
> will blank a selection

That seems a bit overly complicated, but something in that vein seems
reasonable.

I've added

   setRangeText(newText); // replace selection with newText
   setRangeText(newText, start, end); // replace given range with newText
   setRangeText(newText, start, end, action); // see below

...where action is one of:

   'select': selects the new text
   'start': selects empty range at start of new text
   'end': selects empty range at end of new text
   'preserve': (default) set selection as follows:

    - if selection start was before range, leave as is
    - if selection start was after the old range, put it as far from the
      end of the new range as it was from the end of the old range
    - if selection start was in the old range, move it to the start of the
      new range

    - if selection end was before range, leave as is
    - if selection end was after the old range, put it as far from the
      end of the new range as it was from the end of the old range
    - if selection emd was in the old range, move it to the end of the
      new range

> We could also add a getter method, also with optional parameters
>      textobj.getRangeText(start, end)
> so,
> textobj.getRangeText() gives current selection
> textobj.getRangeText(0) gives from start of text to current selection end
> textobj.getRangeText(null, -1) gives from current selection start to end of text

Getting the text from a range is already rather simple (as demonstrated at
the top of this e-mail), so I don't think that's necessary.