[whatwg] Client side value for language preference

Mark Callow callow_mark at hicorp.co.jp
Tue Apr 3 21:05:29 PDT 2012

On 02/04/2012 09:45, Steve Axthelm wrote:
> On 2012-03-30 Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason to believe that this client-side solution would be
>> used significantly considering that the HTTP header has not been used
>> that much?
>
> Don't know about significantly, but I recently used the HTTP headers
> for a group of support pages that had many localizations and would
> have really liked to have been able to handle the entire logic for
> that on the front-end.

I would love it, if more sites would use these headers. As someone else
pointed out, some web servers make it very easy. I would support an
equivalent client-side query.

The current favourite algorithm among servers seems to be to serve a
language based on their perception of your current location. There are
so many reasons why this causes them to serve the wrong language, it is
beyond my understanding why so many sites do it. As a native English
speaker living in Japan, I suffer from it every day. The HTTP headers
provide a much better mechanism.

Regards

    -Mark