[whatwg] StringEncoding: Allowed encodings for TextEncoder

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Aug 6 21:39:49 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I seem to have a recollection that we discussed only allowing encoding
to UTF8 and UTF16LE, UTF16BE. This in order to promote these formats
as well as stay in sync with other APIs like XMLHttpRequest.

However I currently can't find any restrictions on which target
encodings are supported in the current drafts.

One wrinkle in this is if we want to support arbitrary encodings when
encoding, that means that we can't use "insert a the replacement
character" as default error handling since that isn't available in a
lot of encoding formats.

/ Jonas