[whatwg] I believe source rectangles for HTML5 Canvas drawImage are specified incorrectly

Kevin Gadd kevin.gadd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 07:17:29 PST 2012

Sorry, upon reading over the ImageBitmap part of the spec again I'm
confused: Why is constructing an ImageBitmap asynchronous? I thought
any decoding isn't supposed to happen until drawImage, so I don't
really understand why this operation involves a callback and a delay.
Making ImageBitmap creation async means that you *cannot* use this as
a replacement for drawImage source rectangles unless you know all
possible source rectangles in advance. This is not possible for many,
many use cases (scrolling through a bitmap would be one trivial
example).

Is it async because it supports using Video and Blob as the source? I
really love the feature set (being able to pass ImageData in is going
to be a huge boon - no more temporary canvases just to create images
from pixel data!) but if it's async-only I don't know how useful it
will be for the issues that led me to starting this discussion thread
in the first place.

-kg

--
-kg