[whatwg] Session Management

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jan 10 14:17:19 PST 2012

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Cameron Heavon-Jones wrote:

> i'd like to reference a proposal i put forward in relation to expanding
> the functionality of forms which displays how http authentication could
> be implemented declaratively by html authors:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0259.html
>
> [user authentication in forms]

We've tried to address this several times over the past few years, each
time unsuccessfully. The biggest problem is that we lack good
implementation experience to guide us.

Browser vendors have started looking at identity more seriously in recent
months, which may end up addressing this problem at a more fundamental
level. In the meantime, I encourage you to approach browser vendors
directly to propose experimental extensions to the form features to
address this issue, so that we can get the implementation experience we
need to make progress on this issue.