[whatwg] Proposal for Links to Unrelated Browsing Contexts

Charlie Reis creis at chromium.org
Tue Jun 19 14:09:32 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 6/19/12 1:56 PM, Charlie Reis wrote:
>
>> That's from the "[if] the user agent
>> determines that the two browsing contexts are related enough that it is
>> ok if they reach each other" part, which is quite vague.
>>

> This is, imo, the part that says unrelated browsing contexts should not be
> able to reach each other by name.
>
> It's only vague because hixie wanted all current implementations to be
> conforming, I think.  Which I believe is a mistake.

Then the wording should be changed.  However, that belongs in a different
proposal than this one.

>  Firefox appears to allow cross-origin windows find each
>> other by name.
>>

> This is actually necessary for web compat, last I checked, if the
> cross-origin window is one that you opened or one that you are framing.  Do
> other UAs not allow navigating the cross-origin window in those situations?

Those cases are explicitly allowed in
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/single-page.html#allowed-to-navigate, and
other user agents also support that case.  (I tested by navigating a named
window I had opened and navigated cross-origin.  I confirmed that Chrome,
Safari, Firefox, and Opera all let the opener window find the named
cross-origin window.  IE doesn't work in that case, though.)

> There are lots of cases in which cross-origin windows in fact cannot find
> each other by name in Firefox.

In my earlier email, I was testing a case where window A opens a named
window B.  I then navigate B to a different origin and create window C from
scratch.  C is able to find B by name in Firefox, but not in other user
agents.  (That's consistent with your description that Firefox considers
all windows related.)

Charlie