[whatwg] Proposal for HTML5: Motion sensing input device (Kinect, SoftKinetic, Asus Xtion)

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:22:46 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Jesús Ruiz García
<jesusruiz2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I start indicating that this message can be considered useless. I apologize
> for this.
>
> A few weeks ago I was in the chat #WHATWG, and asked how to send an email
> to the list on a proposal to HTML5 (JavaScript).
> I've taken a few days before sending this email, because I have been
> investigating whether there was a similar project in production, and I've
> seen one.
>
> My proposal for HTML5 is to make it functional with Kinect, SoftKinetic,
> Asus Xtion, and similar devices to interact with the web.
> Logically, Kinect is the device most commonly used, would be ideal for this
> proposal.
>
> Kinect patent must be owned by Microsoft. I am informed that in HTML5,
> there have been discussions on these issues of patents, so this aspect
> could possibly be some kind of problem.
> From my point of view, it would sell more devices of this type. Surely even
> in future be replaced by webcams these devices more powerful and included
> as standard on all computers.
>
> Also, users would have an advance on the web. Because really, I mean just
> to give you support to make gestures to browse the web, but for more useful
> things.
> I have some functions to the web, and see that are not being developed:
>
> *- Online shopping or Online retailing:* Want to buy clothes, but do not
> know what size you are using actually. Online stores may have an option to
> run Kinect and scan your body to tell you the correct size for you, for
> that article.We could even see if that shirt looks good on you or not.
>
> *- Webs makeup/hair salon:* With face recognition, could learn/test
> different makeup on the market. Obviously these products would be tested
> virtually, and then could be purchased.
>
> *- Webs fitness/rehabilitation:* While this can be considered as a
> videogame, I see it more as an application. It would check if the person is
> performing well exercise, getting not cause any injury. Rhythm of physical
> exercise, and progress in their mobility.
>
> *- Possible support for Canvas:* Interact with Canvas, via Kinect. Although
> this can be done also with multitouch technology.
>
> There are many ideas, but these are four simple possibilities that have
> been happening while I was writing this text.
>
> Currently being developed by *MIT*, a JavaScript library, called *DepthJS*.
> It Allows Any Web page to interact With the Microsoft Kinect using
> Javascript:
> https://github.com/doug/depthjs
> A few months ago that they do not update, and so far only allow web
> browsing via gestures. I suppose that at the moment, not perform a body
> scan to display it on screen in the browser.
>
> Microsoft according to some reports, also being developed for Xbox 360, a
> version of Internet Explorer with supports Kinect.
>
> Well, with this information, you can become a situation of my proposal.

> [...]

The ability to capture sound and video from the user's devices and
manipulate it in the page is already being exposed by the getUserMedia
function.  Theoretically, a Kinect can provide this information.

More advanced functionality like Kinect's depth information probably
needs more study and experience before we start thinking about adding
it to the language itself.

~TJ