[whatwg] So if media-queries aren't for determining the media to be used what are they for?

Kornel Lesiński kornel at geekhood.net
Wed May 16 13:04:23 PDT 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:09:13 +0100, D. Pitchford <dpitchford1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What standards does not do in this situation is remove the actual work
> effort in having to physically update each and every img's 'srcset'
> string with new breakpoints during a redesign, no matter how terse the
> 'srcset' string is.
> You can have all the stanadrds in place you can muster to write, but the
> physical work effort is not negated because of a list of guidelines that
> lives in a document that rarely gets followed.
>
> Another situation could involve adding an additional layer of support
> for Televisions, in the middle of the lifecycle of a website.
> srcset does not allow for a global update to all img's in a templated
> fashion. The work effort would need be physically updating each and
> every srcset across the site individually.
>
> Not exactly the most efficient use of anyone's time. (picture also has
> this as a downfall)
>
> This is a much larger issue than people are willing to admit at this
> point.

The solution I've seen proposed[1] only aliases media query content, and
works only on a per-page basis, so it doesn't allow automatic addition of
a new image size site-wide, since you have to insert new <source> into
every <picture> anyway.

To me it looks like about the same amount of work as inserting new pixel
size into every srcset.

What solution do you have in mind that would let you add a 'tv' breakpoint
site-wide for all images that have been prepared for it, without need to
update code that embeds those images? And is that really saving much
effort? Wouldn't you have to revisit every page anyway to test the new
layout?

[1]http://www.w3.org/community/respimg/2012/05/13/an-alternative-proposition-to-and-srcset-with-wider-scope/

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński