[whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

Edward O'Connor eoconnor at apple.com
Tue Aug 20 14:52:39 PDT 2013

Hi,

>>> [W]e do want users to be able to bring up the native controls via a
>>> context menu and be able to use them regardless of what the page
>>> does in its event handlers. So, I request that the spec be explicit
>>> that interacting with the video controls does not cause the normal
>>> script-visible events to be fired.
>[…]
>> I've made the spec say this is a valid (and recommended)
>> implemenation strategy.
>
> The change <http://html5.org/r/8134> looks good to me, thanks!

I don't see why <video controls> should be any different than, say,
<button> here. If I install an event handler on an ancestor of an
element, I'm able to capture events and prevent the descendent element
from seeing them.

A UI which allows users to activate a control "regardless of what the
page does in its event handlers" is a general feature not specific to
media elements—and may be worth considering—but we shouldn't make a
one-off exception to the basic model of DOM events just for <video>.

Ted