[whatwg] Enabling LCD Text and antialiasing in canvas

Stephen White senorblanco at chromium.org
Fri Mar 8 15:57:02 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Stephen White <senorblanco at chromium.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Here are the problems I see with that approach:
>>
>> 1)  In order to avoid a performance hit for existing content, it still
>> requires a spec change (the hint)
>> 2)  Even with the hint, when the author knows they want LCD AA, they
>> still incur a performance penalty of drawing to two buffers.
>> 3)  It still can't handle all cases, such as canvas -> WebGL, which will
>> have to remain grayscale-only, even when the author knows it would be safe
>> for their application.
>>

> I agree those are problems. All of the available options have problems.

Given that that's the case, I am going to move forward with the opaque
attribute, since I feel it is the lesser of all the evils presented thus
far.  Paying the cost of two buffers and double-rendering just isn't
palatable, IMHO.

>  Also, what form should this authoring hint take?  Is it going to
>> explicitly call out LCD AA?  In that case, how is it better than an opt-in
>> canvas attribute?  If it doesn't explicitly call out LCD AA, but that's the
>> only effect it has, what should it be called?
>>

> Perhaps we could use "text-rendering:optimizeLegibility" on the canvas
> element.

We also might be over-thinking the danger that LCD AA poses.

Firefox/Linux and Firefox/Mac are both currently shipping with LCD AA
turned on unconditionally in <canvas>, and it's trivial to make them expose
color fringing.  WebKit nightlies (Safari build) seem do the same, although
Safari 6.0 doesn't.

Stephen