[whatwg] Web development

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Oct 10 11:45:18 PDT 2013

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Mark Roberts wrote:

> Why is everything else around us developing so fast, but the web is so
> slow to adopt anything?

Because to get something adopted in a browser, you need to do the
following (not always in this order):

 1. Have someone design the feature.
 2. Have someone write a specification for it.
 3. Have some people write tests for it.
 4. Have one browser implement it.
 5. Have another browser implement it.
 6. Have another browser implement it.
 7. Have another browser implement it.
 8. Have people document it.

This is in contrast to "everything else", which just needs:

 1. Someone to implement it.

> I would like to see improvements to selectors. The way elements are
> selected on a page is hard work! Why can't a child select a parent in
> hover or any other target? HTML5 is a great advance, but in this case we
> still have to rely on jscript for most things!

HTH,