[whatwg] Proposal: requestBackgroundProcessing()

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Feb 20 17:18:12 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Ashley Gullen <ashley at scirra.com> wrote:

> One solution is to make web workers able to access many of the same APIs
> the UI thread can, especially with WebGL, Web Audio, WebRTC and rAF. Then
> it might be practical to move a full game engine in to a worker. If that is
> planned, I guess there is no need for a new feature.

Having (some form of) all these APIs available in a Worker is a long-term
goal, but as Glenn just pointed out, it sounds like you could just run the
server in a Worker and the rest of the engine on the main thread.

Having said that, your server would want WebRTC DataChannels on the worker,
and we don't have that yet. You can work around it by proxying messages to
the main thread; postMessage from a Worker to the main thread is usually
not throttled.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w