[whatwg] rel=bookmark

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Mon Aug 7 07:27:07 PDT 2017

Hi Domenic,

> On Aug 5, 2017, at 9:19 PM, Domenic Denicola <d at domenic.me> wrote:
>
> (Remember to use the HTML Standard, located at https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/links.html#link-type-bookmark, not any forks of it.)

Oops, my bad! Luckily the definition looks the same so I think my question is still relevant?

> Right now the bookmark link relation has a specific purpose, as you can read in the spec:
>
>> The bookmark keyword gives a permalink for the nearest ancestor article element of the linking element in question, or of the section the linking element is most closely associated with, if there are no ancestor article elements.
>
> Your proposal is essentially to give it an entirely separate meaning when used in the context of the <link> element, but that's not usually how we share link relations between the different elements: cf. alternate, author, help, license, next, etc.

> At least, that is how I understand; I'm having a hard time distinguishing what "identifier" is for in practice, and in particular why it is different than "canonical".

Yes, I initially thought canonical was the logical choice too. But as the draft authors point out, canonical [1] says nothing about persistence and is used instead to indicate a preferred URL for duplicative content.

//Ed

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6596