[whatwg] header for JSON-LD ???

Jonathan Zuckerman j.zuckerman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 10:45:08 PDT 2017

This suggestion might have more success with the W3C? I'm not completely
clear on the politics and history of the two orgs, but it seems like the
W3C has supported JSON-LD in the past, so they might have some interest in
expanding it.

On a personal note, I think you've got really far down the path of a hammer
looking for a nail. Spend more time working with the web you've got before
trying to change it. I've responded inline with a few suggestions for your
audio website case.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:21 PM Michael A. Peters <mpeters at domblogger.net>
wrote:

> When too much is displayed, the website is too busy.

I disagree that displaying related content to the user is "too busy". If
you can't figure out how to organize the content of your website in a way
that users will understand, I don't think it's fair to expect that search
engine bots will be able to do it for you. This is a design problem, or a
UX problem, or a business problem. The technology we currently have is
perfectly capable of resolving your issues.

> If there are 12 audios in a group, the person can only listen to one at
> a time so it is pointless to have 12 audio nodes present.

Use URLs e.g. example.com/group/7/audio/3 and the history API to build a
decent interface which loads a single audio at a time while also indicating
its role in the group (and includes controls to navigate around the group)

> But you can display one and have the other 11 accessible via a select
> menu, so that if and when the user wants them, they select the audio
> they want and JS swaps out the audio node.

Hiding the other audios behind a select input seems like a bad experience
for the user, I'm confident you'll find poor discovery of those other
audios by actual users. I'd follow the lead of successful audio
applications like Spotify or Soundcloud until you can do your own research,
but if you insist on keeping the UI very minimal then a single link back to
the "group" or playlist of audios might be worth trying.

> But if you define your structured data as attributes then information
> about the other 11 is not available to machines that fetch the page and
> want to know what the page offers.

Not true, if you have a single URL for each audio node and another one for
the group.

> That's why JSON-LD is superior to the other methods of structured data.
> You can have the structured data for all 12 audios since all 12 audios
> are part of the page but only one has an (x)html audio node in the html
> as sent by the initial GET request.

> Web pages aren't static, even after the client received the page the DOM
> can be altered without reloading the page.
>
> Structured data separate from the content is the only logical way to
> account for that.

Respectfully disagree ;)