[html5] What is the point about nav, header, footer and aside elements?

Prof. T.D. Wilson wilsontd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 12:55:24 PST 2012

"Certainly though, the semantics of HTML elements are only relatively
vague, and don't rise to the level of understanding the specific meaning
of the text of a page."

Exactly - which is why I said that semantic tags couldn't be expected any
time soon :-)  I understand how this mis-naming has happened: the compilers
of the standard were looking for a word to describe this function:

"the same page can also be used by a small browser on a mobile phone,
without any change to the page. Instead of headings being in large letters
as on the desktop, for example, the browser on the mobile phone might use
the same size text for the whole the page, but with the headings in bold."

and, of course, there isn't a single word, at least not as far as I'm aware
in English and so, some member of the team came up with the suggestion,
"Let's call them semantic" and everyone happily agreed in order to get out
of the dilemma.  The statement above was prefaced by "Because HTML conveys *
meaning*, rather than presentation,..." but what is described is not a
transfer of meaning from the html to the screen, but exactly, presentation.

On 28 November 2012 17:14, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> http://whatwg.org/html#sections

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, Hed.Dr, PhD (h.c.)
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research:
an international electronic journal
Website - http://InformationR.net/ir/ <http://informationr.net/ir/>

Blog - http://info-research.blogspot.com/
Photoblog - http://tomwilson.shutterchance.com/