[html5] Standard way for line-clamp?

Oliver Sartun osartun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 08:00:02 PDT 2017

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there's a standardized alternative to using
-webkit-line-clamp. CanIUse says that line-clamp is a relic from an
outdated flexbox implementation
(http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-line-clamp). I'm seeing so many articles
about how to get the effect in non-webkit browsers with CSS tricks or
even JavaScript-based solutions – some articles even dating back to
2012. So, apparently there's a need for a universal solution, but so
far I haven't heard of any. Are there attempts to standardize this? Or
does a standard solution already exist and I just haven't heard of it,
yet?

Thanks in advance,
Oli