[html5] WHATWG's lack of responsiveness (was re: Suggestion to close this list)

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Thu Aug 24 00:39:47 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Tony Crockford <tonyc at boldfish.co.uk> wrote:
> I wonder if this list would have been more active if those needing to "make a decision without input from all parties" were to post the question here for the rest of us to comment on.
>
> Or did we try that and find it too onerous?

That was the purpose of the whatwg at whatwg.org list. However, it wasn't
possible to follow for most people as you'd get ~300 emails a month
when it was active. That's in part why discussion now takes place on
GitHub, where you can cherry pick which topics to follow and give
feedback on and which to ignore. That helps more people contribute
more effectively. And it allows more folks to edit the standards too.
The HTML Standard has gotten patches from over a 100 different people
now whereas for the majority of time it was written by a single
person. Overall I think this move has made us more democratic.

The purpose of help at whatwg.org was to ask questions about WHATWG
standards, but it never really got used much.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/