[whatwg] Any way to submit only those parts of a form that have changed?

dolphinling dolphinling at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 11 06:30:44 PST 2004

Jim Ley wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:23:23 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>>I don't buy the bandwidth argument. This kind of thing doesn't even appear
>>on the radar when compared to bittorrent or RSS traffic.
>
> bittorrent or RSS isn't relevant to the mobile phone user, or the host
> of websites, both of these care about the bandwidth of what they're
> actually using, reducing bandwidth in requests makes the sites more
> usable, as the request size is smaller.

Well RSS /is/ relevant to a server operator (though bittorrent isn't),
so perhaps it's a valid point. I really don't have any experience in
this, so I'll defer to anyone with more (perhaps you could ask the
bugzilla admins on IRC?)

>>The processing power doesn't seem like a big thing either -- comparing
>>strings is not that expensive, and you have to do it anyway, to test for
>>data integrity and prevent invalid data from being submitted, etc.
>
> No you don't, if there's no FOO field submitted, you don't need to do
> any comparison on it for anything, it's just immediately rejected.

s/immediately rejected/assumed to be the default/, but yeah, that's
pretty much exactly my point.