[whatwg] Why not JavaScript?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 15:33:16 PDT 2004

JavaScript turns up regularly in this discussion, so I though I'd state a
few obvious points and ask a few questions that nobody else seems to have
asked as yet.

First of all, when I read the (very interesting) position paper, it struck
me that every described feature can be implemented in JavaScript *right
now*, maybe except for the server sent events and the clipboard api (but
even in those cases it might be possible).

Therefore I wondered why we'd have to invent a wholly new language to do
what can already be done, especially when we'd have to wait about three to
five years before browsers start to support it, and with the extreme
likelihood that IE won't support it anyway.

As far as I'm concerned we have the choice of using JavaScript right now, or
waiting for (probably buggy and incompatible) browser implementations of as
yet unknown techniques in the distant future.

Of course using JavaScript has a downside, too. My current personal
guesstimate is that about 2 to 3 % of the Web users have JavaScript
disabled, voluntarily or by Sysadmin Decree. It may be somewhat more or
less, but that's not the point. The point is that JavaScript is not 100%
reliable.

Therefore the question becomes how important JavaScript's imprecise
reliability is. This depends on the *purpose* of the Web application, and I
haven't yet seen a single mention of this purpose, neither in the position
paper nor on this mailing list.

I'm confused by the paper's mention of eBay and Amazon as examples of web
applications. To me, these are not applications but web sites, and they can
function without JavaScript (I'm not saying they do, I'm just saying they
can). The core tasks of these sites (bidding on items and buying books)
don't require richer widget sets, window-based state management, predefined
HTML editors or server-sent events.

Any web application that enhances these sites is therefore not critical but
a nice extra. Hence the use of JavaScript to program them is quite allowed.
Noscript browsers can still perform the core tasks.

HTML editors and such are very valuable for content management systems and
such, but these applications run in a controlled environment where it is
permissible to require a JavaScript enabled browser. So here, too, the use
of JavaScript is quite allowed.

Can someone please give an example of an application where richer widget
sets, window-based state management, predefined HTML editors or server-sent
events are *absolutely required*, an application that, when created in
JavaScript, *cannot* be designed to degrade gracefully in noscript browsers?

I feel that any web application must have a strong server side component, to
store the data and to allow  people to add, change or delete data. These
tasks can be performed in the absence of a rich web application and/or
JavaScript, simply by entering the data in a form and clicking "Submit".

In short, I don't see any reason *not* to use JavaScript to create a richer
client environment. Can somebody please explain why we need a new language?

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.quirksmode.org/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/types/keep_it_simple/