[whatwg] Why type="location" was removed

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvors at online.no
Thu Jun 10 22:27:10 PDT 2004

On 10 Jun 2004 at 15:46, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Some of you may have noticed that type="location" was removed between the
> last version that I published on my personal site, and the draft currently
> hosted by whatwg.org.

Would be a pity to loose it. It would be excellent if, say, tcl.fr
asked me only once for my home address, set a cookie in my mobile
phone's browser to remember it and later on I could just go to a page
with a type="location" field and choose "show me the best route home"
to see schedules and connections from the nearest bus/metro/tramway
stop. :-)

> I have attached the comments that led to this removal. I am not qualified
> to write new text to address these concerns, but if someone can write text
> that solves these problems, I would be happy to reintroduce the feature.

I'm not qualified to write a text either but it may be worth
considering that the site will normally have an idea of the required
precision of the data. TCL's site (Lyon public transport) would
benefit from a more precise location data than SNCF's (the French
railways) as there are more bus stops than railway stations, and
weather.com would usually only need to know what section of what
country I'm in.

Obviously implementing a "Select from map" widget means the UA must
be configured to find map data somewhere, and there must be a way to
translate the coordinates of a user click (or whatever) back to
coordinates. Precision for selecting from a map depends on the scale
the map is using. Perhaps a "mapscale" attribute would be useful to
let the site suggest a certain precision, and UAs that implement map-
selection could have zoom widgets to let the user override that.
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
hallvors at online.no / www.hallvord.com