Excluding attributes from [ID] parsing (Was: Re: [whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 comments)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 30 15:28:17 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Sander wrote:

> So that's how I get user-submitted data (the initial values; and maybe
> even pattern attributes and the like for capable users who want to more
> strictly limit how genre-specific fields can be used) in template
> elements.  (Such meta-CMSs are not something I create every day, but
> still something I've created more than once.)

The CMS like that could probably still support a model similar to what I
described (working out a unique ID on the fly) but yeah, I understand
that's not the best solution.

> Anyway, I can live with the non-breaking zero-width space character
> solution, but a way to exclude all attributes of a certain type in one
> go would still be very welcome.

The problem is that it very quickly becomes very hard to specify attribute
lists, especially when we get to XML with namespaced attributes. Even in
HTML, people would end up wanting to make certain attributes of certain
elements not be handled and others be handled and so forth, causing IMHO
significant implementation cost for little benefit.

> P.S. Section 3.7.1 of the current draft still speaks of the repeat
> "element".

Oops, fixed.

Cheers,