[whatwg] Re: <section> and headings and other threads

dolphinling dolphinling at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 7 15:32:52 PDT 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, dolphinling wrote:
>
>><section>
>>  <h1>1st level header</h1>
>>  <!-- section -->
>>      <h3>3rd level header</h3>
>>    <!-- /section -->
>></section>
>

> Disagreed; the <h3> simply gets treated as an <h2> in this case, IMHO. I
> don't see the advantage of having deeper sections here.

Suppose you have an outline like this:

Section

  +--A
  |  |
  |  +--B
  |  |  |
  |  |  +--C
  |  |  |
  |  |  +--D
  |  |
  |  +--E
  |     |
  |     +--F
  |     |
  |     +--G

  +--H

     +-----I

     +-----J

...where I and J are the same level as C, D, F, and G. If there's no way
to skip a heading level, then there's no way to convey the fact that
they're of the same importance.

One real-world example of this that I know of is
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/reference/html/, take a look at
chapter 3. Another example would be in taxonomy, where there are lots
and lots of sub- and supercategories, but all species should obviously
be the same heading level.

In the absence of sub/superheadings (which IMO would be a much better
solution, but possibly wouldn't be able to be backwards-compatible (or
maybe they would, I haven't thought about it quite enough...)) there
needs to be some way to skip levels.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>