[whatwg] [wf2] maxlength attribute on file causes problems

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Dec 27 12:42:38 PST 2005

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen wrote:

> I think it's a good decision if you really definitely don't want to
> add new attributes at this point in the WF2 process.

I indeed would rather not. Feature-freeze means, well, feature-freeze.

> If it not too late I'd still prefer just renaming it to "filesize" but
> it can probably wait for WF3.

If it was just a matter of renaming the attribute, I would agree, but
maxlength="" would have to remain, so it wouldn't be just a matter of
renaming the attribute. (e.g. it would imply a new DOM attribute, new
prose to cover the behaviour of the attribute for other input types, a new
row in the table in the appendix, etc.)

> Thank you for paying such close attention to UA implementation problems
> :-)

Hey, without the implementations, the specs are useless. I'm not writing
these specs just for the fun of it. :-)

Cheers,