[whatwg] For Japanese language users, Web Forms should have a way to active/deactive for IME

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Mon Jan 17 13:08:38 PST 2005

Masayuki Nakano wrote:
> I think IME controlling is semantics of the document.
> e.g.,
> Name:<input id="name" />
> Tel:<input id="tel" />
> On Japanese language system, input#name should be active IME by UA.
> This reason is the name must be written in Japanese on many systems.
> I think it is not a presentation. It is semantic.

I agree that it is semantics if a text field value must be in japanese
or must use kanji. There are currently no way to indicate this in WF2.

It's too specific to define the required language, though. UA's will not
support all kinds of input modes, and will not be able to validate
whether some input is actually in the required language.

Perhaps there should just be something to indicate just whether a field
expects prose (in which case the UA uses the IME for the user language,
it the user language requires IME), or whether the field requires ASCII
input (like, I assume, the tel field in the example).

Regards
Olav Junker Kjær