[whatwg] For Japanese language users, Web Forms should have a way to active/deactive for IME

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Tue Jan 18 00:52:39 PST 2005

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen wrote:
 > I think this is a good suggestion and
 > my gut feeling is it should be an attribute, too much to do with
 > functionality to be CSS.

Well, my gut feeling tells me that ime-mode is media dependent. You
wouldn't use IME if you were entering data through speech recognition or
handwriting recognition (although knowledge of the expected script might
still be useful for the UI).

CSS it not just for presentation but also for media-dependent behavior.
The UA should be able to choose a sensible default in the absence of
CSS, therefore there should be semantic information enough to decide
whether IME-mode should be used. Like:

<input name=name inputmode="hiragana">
<input name=tel inputmode="latin digits">

regards
Olav Junker Kjær