[whatwg] [WF2] Web Forms 2.0: Repetition and type ID

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jul 3 05:16:02 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Couldn't we just solve this with an attribute called "templateid" that
> would be used in place of the |id| attribute for templates. We could
> then use |id| for backwards compatibility.

I don't understand how that would help. The problem is not with the
templateid attribute, it's with any ID attribute. For example:

   <input id="field[x]" ...>

...if you want to give the fields a unique ID in each repetition block.

(Also, multiple ID attributes per element would also be a problem in most
schema languages, and square brackets are a problem in any ID attribute,
not just "id".)