[whatwg] Input type=date UI discussion

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Tue Jul 12 13:15:15 PDT 2005

Jim Ley wrote:
> On 7/12/05, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
>

>>We took the decision, that where possible, we would just copy Windows
>>look and feel.
>

> There is no "windows" look and feel, the windows window manager, like
> all is highly configurable. I definately think it's a bad idea to
> attempt to duplicate a particular look and feel, it means if someone
> has changed just one thing, they end up with a control that looks like
> they expect, but works in ony tiny way differently, that's much worse
> than a control that looks completely different.

Well the customisation is just colours and chrome style. We'll attempt
to guess the chrome style and replicate it. What I really mean is that
we are copying the windows controls in terms of layout and the way they
respond to keyboard/mouse events.

> You should either use the windows common controls, or you should have
> something that cannot be confused for the normal controls.

Yeah. We are copying the windows common controls.

>>I want to avoid anything in popup windows having focus.
>

> The popup window must have focus to be accessible, otherwise users of
> alternative input devices cannot use the control AIUI.  (If Chaals is
> still reading or somewhere near Brian, I expect he'd no more...)

I said anything *in* the popup window. The WF2 controls for IE will all
be operable by keyboard. Think of a <select> box. The individual options
are not focusable but they are navigable.

>>>4.2 Key actions
>>>  - ENTER: Invokes the date chooser popup
>>
>>This clashes with submit. We probaly won't do this. If the popup is
>>visible then it counts as select.
>

> So Enter in a text box should submit a form, the same as if it was an
> input type=text?  Is this in the spec?

What are you asking? A text box should behave like a text box?

-dean