[whatwg] [html5] window.print() undefined

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:07:23 PDT 2005

>Why would you suspend a timer?
> (And why would the UA not suspend the timers itself?)

You're saying that when a user print's an HTML5 user agent MUST stop
all setTimeout counters, I don't see that in the spec, nor why it
would be an expectation of a scripter.

The common use of onbeforeprint/onafterprint is to add content to a
document that is only relevant to printed media, this is something
that cannot be done with CSS, since CSS is optional, so if we just
hide content with CSS, we're stuck with the situation that users
without CSS or with an appropriate user stylesheet get it and get
confused.

Of course for showing temporarily hidden stuff with script, as has
been mentioned, there's no problem doing it with CSS.

Jim.