[whatwg] Display Issue with Web Applications 1.0 Working Draft

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 19 07:56:58 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Christopher Hester wrote:

> In the Web Applications 1.0 Working Draft — 18 July 2005, Section 2.3.8. "The
> header element" (link:
> http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-header) there is an example
> of code given. The penultimate line in the code is *extremely* long, causing
> the browser window to double in width just for this line. The effect is
> visible in Opera 8.01 and Firefox 1.0.5 on Windows XP, and likely other
> browsers and platforms too.

Yeah. Is this a problem? I don't really want that line to be split onto
multiple lines since it's contents aren't really important, but I don't
really want to make it shorter either since that text was all copied from
an existing page.

> The page also seems amazingly long for a web page. This means it takes a
> long time to load (even on broadband). If the user only wants one
> section, they still have to load the whole thing. Previewing it for
> print in Opera 8 (which takes several seconds) gives a total of 218
> pages. Like the W3C specs, it would be so much better if each section
> were split into separate pages.

Yes, this might happen eventually (I "just" need to write a script to
split the page into multiple files while still maintaining all the links).
For now, it's *massively* easier from an editing perspective if the
document is a single page.

I've also had feedback from people saying they much prefer one-page specs
(even if they are hundreds of printed pages long) because it makes
searching for things much easier.

Thanks,