[whatwg] [html5] onbeforeprint/onafterprint (was window.print() undefined)

J. Graham jg307 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 14:36:07 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Jim Ley wrote:

> Someone will probably suggest CSS background-images as a suitable for
> this aswell, yet again ignoring the fact that CSS is _optional_, and
> content-images must not be in background images as they simply won't
> be seen without CSS or if background images are disabled.

Er.. script is (in practice) at least as optional as CSS since more people
actually disable script than use alternate stylesheets. Also, I'd guess
one could meet this use case with print-only CSS generated content of some
form or another so background-image is irrelevant (but I haven't checked
that in detail).

Having said all that, I have no particular feeling one way or another
about onbeforeprint. On the one hand I expect more people to 'get it' than
some CSS based solution (plus it already works), on the other it has some
theoretical issues and seems quite ugly.