[whatwg] [html5] onbeforeprint/onafterprint (was window.print() undefined)

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 07:53:56 PDT 2005

Dean Edwards wrote:
> Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>For instance, such events could be combined with AJAX to force people
>>into a pay-to-print scenario.
>
> What's wrong with paying to print a high quality version of an image? If
> you ask me this is a great example of why we should allow these events.

   It alters the expected behavior of browser chrome while not actually
securing the content. All one would have to do to circumvent the events
is to create a fork of Firefox or an extension that turns off the
print-related events. Why provide events that tamper with the normal
behavior of a browser function without actually providing added security
for the web developer? The onbeforeprint/onafterprint events only serve
to harass the users, and it doesn't actually enable you to do something
you couldn't do with a reasonable workaround (see my earlier Mapquest
example).