[whatwg] [html5] onbeforeprint/onafterprint (was window.print() undefined)

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 09:53:08 PDT 2005

James Graham wrote:
> Just to muddy the waters a bit - it is quite likely that Gecko 1.9 will
> allow pages to be 'exported' to a variety of formats (in a manner
> analogous to http://gecko.dynalivery.com/ ). Clearly I have no idea what
> the UI for this functionality will be but lets pretend that it's not
> through the standard print dialog (this isn't strictly important).
> Should any function that transforms html -> non-html fire hypothetical
> onprint events?

   Or for that matter, should print events be fired in Opera when I
select text and press "V", which makes Opera read the selected text out
loud for me. Also, there the fact that if I'm printing a specific
selection of text, I may not need the document to be transformed at all.
In fact, the text I have selected may be contained entirely inside a
single text node, in which case print events can only serve to alter or
remove the text itself.