[whatwg] [WF2] Readonly and default pseudoclass matching

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 31 19:57:54 PDT 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:

>>>Note that the text above was reviewed by the editor of the CSS3 UI spec
>>>and given the all-clear.
>>
>>Of course he gave it the all clear. He's the one who wrote the disputed
>>portion of the spec in the first place.
>
> Which disupted section of which spec?

For CSS:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-css3-ui-20040511/#pseudo-ro-rw

For WF2:
   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#relation

> If there is a dispute about a CSS spec, this is the wrong forum.
> Please move such discussions to www-style,
> where the discussions have a greater-than-zero chance of actually causing
> the CSS specs to change. :-)

   True, which is why I moved part of this discussion to www-style
already. However, what I'm trying to address is your recent revision of WF2.

> If the disputed section is the one I wrote (i.e. the one quoted above)
> then no, he didn't; I wrote it.

   I never said he wrote it. You altered WF2 to make it repeat aspects
of what he wrote (CSS3-UI). Obviously the person who wrote the sections
of the CSS3-UI spec you're drawing from is going to agree with
corrections that reinforce his own content.

>>>I recommend sending your comments to www-style. As far as WHATWG goes,
>>>we have to take CSS3 UI as gospel and work from there.
>>
>>   Even so, you could simply refer generally to CSS specifications
>>without restating their content. By restating content, you make the spec
>>potentially incompatible with future revisions of the CSS3-UI spec.
>
> The problem is that CSS3 UI is not clear enough to lead to interoperable
> specifications in the context of WF2. Thus, it is my responsibility, as
> editor of WF2, to clarify how the specs interact. As editor, I also take
> on the responsibility of tracking future revisions of CSS3UI to ensure
> they do not break us, and that WF2 is updated to track CSS3UI changes.
> (The same applies to all WF2's dependencies.)

   What was wrong with the revision I suggested?...

| Matches form control elements that have the readonly attribute set,
| and to which the readonly attribute applies (thus radio buttons will
| never match this, regardless of the value of the attribute), as well
| as other elements defined by this specification that are defined as
| read-only under the CSS3 Basic User Interface Module.

   There's no reason to rewrite parts of WF2 if it's written to avoid
such problems in the first place.

>>In a scenario with script, when would you disable the <input readonly>
>>element specifically and in markup rather than disabling a parent
>><fieldset>?
>
> There might not be a parent <fieldset>. In any case, what's the
> difference?

   So, when am I going to need to disable a single read-only control
independently of other controls? Not seeing a use case here.