[whatwg] [wa1] 2.4.10. The address element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Mar 31 04:46:22 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > What's the use case?
>
> Having the contact information for the document, web site, in the
> sidebar, but still making it, from a semantic point of view, not apply
> to the sidebar alone.

I don't see how contact information could be a <sidebar>. The sidebar
element represents a section of a page that consists of content that is
tangentially related to the content around the sidebar  element, and which
could be considered separate from that content. That doesn't describe
"contact information for the document".

Now, if you meant that the contact information would be _rendered_ in a
bar on the side (which is very different from having it in a <sidebar>!)
then that's what CSS is for.

(Maybe <sidebar> needs a better name? Any suggestions?)

> It is quite common for contact information to be listed in the sidebar
> or some other "sectional" place.

Yeah. The footer. Not a section.