[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

Jasper Bryant-Greene jasper at album.co.nz
Sat Oct 22 15:02:00 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 20:25 +1000, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> It could be defined in reverse, where the ping attribute (probably given
> a more suitable name, but I'll use ping for now) could be advisory
> information about the final destination and the href attribute defines
> the ping destination, such that following the href attribute would
> perform a redirect, but WA1 UAs could use the URI in the ping attribute
> to notify the user of the final destination (such as displaying it in
> the status bar).

Or the UA could just do a HEAD request for the URI in the /href/
attribute and display the contents of the Location: header if the
response status is 3xx. We don't need a new attribute for this.

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
General Manager

e: jasper at album.co.nz
w: http://www.album.co.nz/
p: 0800 4 ALBUM (0800 425 286) or +64 21 232 3303
a: PO Box 579, Christchurch 8015, New Zealand