[whatwg] PaceEntryMediatype

Thomas Broyer t.broyer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 00:23:14 PST 2006

2006/11/30, Ian Hickson:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> >
> > I'd prefer basing autodiscovery on the media types and not at all on the
> > relationships. A "feed" relationship would only help finding the "living
> > resource" (similar to rel="current" in the Atom Relationship Registry)
> > if you're not already "on" it (in which case, rel="alternate" would be
> > used).
> >
> > UAs would then obviously continue to support autodiscovery using
> > "alternate" all-over-the-place, this would just be a lucky side-effect;
> > and everyone would be happy.
>
> So as far as I can tell, that's what HTML5 currently requires. Am I
> interpreting you correctly?

Hmm, I'm afraid you don't.

For some background, see these mails on the Atom lists:
http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg19100.html
http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg19107.html

There's a parallel discussion on the Atom lists about the Atom media types.

A summary of my problem with HTML5's autodiscovery:
 - there shouldn't be a 'rel' value for "subscribability",
subscribability is a matter of whether and how an UA can process
content from a particular media type
 - HTML5 shouldn't say anything about which media type is
"subscribable": application/atom+xml can be an Atom Entry, and there
might be other subscribable media types (some aggregators allow you to
subscribe to HTML); in other words, there shouldn't be any assumption
of subscribability *from within the spec*.
 - rel="feed" could be useful, but as a real relationship between
resources (the resource pointed to by a rel="feed" link is a 'feed' in
which the "current" resource "believes" it appears or has appeared as
a contained item), not as defined currently in HTML5.

Actually my main problems are:
 - the definition of rel="feed"
 - the assumption that rel="alternate"+Atom or rel="alternate"+RSS is
equivalent to rel="feed alternate"

--
Thomas Broyer