[whatwg] [html5] STYLE and SCRIPT elements should not be closed at </

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Feb 23 18:22:36 PST 2006

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, J. King wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:41:46 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> > That would mean giving up the fiction that HTML is an SGML application.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't that prevent it from being an XML
> application as well?

Well, HTML4 and XHTML1 aren't technically compatible -- even disregarding
the DOCTYPE and namespace issues, an arbitrary conformant HTML document is
typically not a conformant XHTML1 document, and vice versa.

It is possible to serialise an HTML4 DOM into either HTML4 or XHTML1,
though, and the same is possible (more explicitly) with HTML5/XHTML5 as
defined by the Web Apps spec.

> I thought XML too great pains to be compatible with SGML. If such a
> change would not prevent a hypothetical HTML 5 from being a conformant
> XML application, why can the rules not be expressed in SGML?

SGML simply doesn't have the ability to define error handling rules to the
level of detail HTML5 requires.