[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Feb 23 18:25:14 PST 2006

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I was wondering if HTML5 (WA1, at the moment) is going to define which
> tags are optional and which elements are implied. (This is of course
> only for text/html documents.)

The parser has been so defined. I still have to write the syntax part that
defines this for authors, but it will include such prose as well.

> For example, what is the resulting DOM of this document:
>
>  <title>Foo</title>
>  <script type="text/javascript" src="bar"></script>

(assuming a correct DOCTYPE):

  #document
    DOCTYPE
    HTML
      HEAD
        TITLE
          #text (Foo)
        SCRIPT
    BODY

> ... and this:
>
>  <script type="text/javascript" src="bar"></script>
>  <title>Foo</title>

(assuming a correct DOCTYPE):

  #document
    DOCTYPE
    HTML
      HEAD
        SCRIPT
        TITLE
          #text (Foo)
    BODY

> ..? Are both part of the implied HEAD element or is the SCRIPT element in the
> first example perhaps part of the BODY element? I believe both are possible.
>
> Is there a BODY element in this document (or, is there always a body
> element?):

>   body{ background:lime }

Yes; there is always a body element (assuming, again, a correct DOCTYPE is
included).

> ... or this:
>
>  <title>Bar</title>

Same.

> Is HTML5 going to list which start- and endtags are optional and how the
> resulting DOM tree should look like in situations were there are
> multiple options?

In terms of the parsing, this in now done. Please let me know if I omitted
something. I'll write the author side of this in due course (which should
be much simpler... I hope).

Cheers,