[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 24 14:46:03 PST 2006

(I may have already replied to this, in which case apologies; just
making sure I don't leave any behind.)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > In my world that is solved by no longer claiming that HTML is an SGML
> > application.
>
> And how does the XML part of your world feel about that? (I like the
> idea for HTML.)

The spec now tries to make a clear distinction between "HTML5" and
"XHTML5". The former is a custom language (like HTML1 and HTML+; unlike
HTML2-HTML4), and the second is an XML language (like XHTML1.x).

Cheers,