[whatwg] text/html flavor conformance checkers and <foo />

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 24 15:51:24 PST 2006

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> > What should text/html flavor conformance checkers say about <foo />?
> >
> > Silently treat as <foo>> as per SGML?
>
> Yes.

No, that wouldn't be compatible with legacy browsers and would break
millions if not billions of documents.

(Consider:

> > Silently treat as <foo> as per real world?
>
> Intentionally buggy/broken behaviour should not be carried over into
> conformance checkers.

I agree it shouldn't be silent.

> > Report a warning?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Report an error?
>
> I don't think it should be an error.  A warning like the WDG validator
> issues is appropriate.

I don't understand the difference between "warning" and "error".

> > What about <foo/>?
>
> Same as <foo />.

Agreed, although in the spec they trigger from different places (the
space causes the UA to switch from tagname parsing to attribute parsing).

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Jonny Axelsson wrote:

> HTML never became a SGML application, and though SGML was believed to be
> on the verge of taking over the world in the middle nineties that never
> happened. There is no benefit in my opinion for a modern spec to include
> counter-intuitive SGML features that made sense at the time (or rather
> in a SGML universe). Neither would SGML dependency be desireable.

Agreed.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Brad Neuberg wrote:

> +1.  When will people stop pretending that HTML is not SGML (it's also
> not currently XML)?

Done.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, R.J.Koppes wrote:

> I'd say the "/" in <foo /> should be treated as an invalid character by
> conformance checkers, I guess something like <foo ?> is treated that way
> too? If not it should. So it might raise an error reporting an illegal
> character and it might raise another error in a further stage if the
> </foo> closing tag is mandatory (in the case of <script> for instance)

<foo ?> actually would be treated, according to the spec, as

The "/" character is treated more like a space than other characters.