[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jan 8 21:19:22 PST 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> Authors can only suggest presentation, in the end the *user* decides on
> it. That's the essence of the Web. Thus we should not be thinking merely
> about what authors want, but at least as much, and probably more, about
> what users want.

As a user on a dual monitor 1600x1200 system, I certainly don't have any
issues with space for navigation...

> If a user-agent supports display:meta, the user can decide to apply that
> to NAV whether the author likes it or not.
>
> > Nor am I convinced that if it was integrated into the UA's chrome in a
> > usable fashion, that it would take less room than it would if styled
> > by the author of the page.
>
> It wouldn't need to take up *any* room.

Um. I'd rather like to see the navigation somewhere! Could you expand on
what you're proposing? I don't think I really understand it.

At the moment, sites can (and do!) provide a view of their site,
customised to their site, on pages as appropriate for that page and that
site. For example:

   http://www.google.com/support

...has links to other major Google pages in a sidebar at the top left,
links to related pages in the mid-left sidebar area, links to related
features at the bottom of the left sidebar, links to major subsections in
the middle of the page, a search form at the top right, links to popular
subpages in the sidebar to the right, alternative suggestions below that,
links to other related pages below _that_, and at the bottom has links to
links only loosely related to the main topic.

How would that page look if authored with your proposal?

Or take this page:

   http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz_log/entry/2006/01/07/2100/?fr=fp-buzz-img

It has links at the top left and right for related jump pages, it has a
search box in the upper middle area, links to back/forward at the bottom
of the main <article> section, links to a bunch of sections on the left,
in various categories, links to a bazillion related pages in the main
body, links to various legal things at the bottom, etc.

How would that page look if authored with your proposal?