[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

White Lynx whitelynx at operamail.com
Thu Jun 8 01:06:23 PDT 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I don't know how decision making
> works at different browser companies, but I would hazard a guess that
> from the point of view of Opera, Apple and Microsoft, the business
> case for MathML is rather lousy compared to e.g. SVG, which is known
> to have spec problems as well, which conflicts with CSS and which
> also doesn't work in text/html.
This just means that for mathematical community it is more important to fix
spec problems, avoid conflicts with CSS and HTML, then to larger communities
that can put more pressure on developers (IMHO even in acse of large comunity
it is better to keep spec consistent and compatible with the rest rather then hell knows what and the
put extra pressure  on developers).

> It follows that it is futile to insist on semantics that you
> can't pull out of LaTeX as it is normally authored.
This is one of the reason why proposal focuses on structure of math formulae,
while more specific and thus fragile semantics is addressed via optional content layer.