[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Sun Jun 11 07:54:16 PDT 2006

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:11:39 +0700, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>>> Maybe features like spellckeching, syntax highlighting and so on
>>> should be controlled via CSS?
>
>> No, spell checking is a user agent feature that should be controlled
>> by the UA and the user.  Authors should have no explicit control over it.
>
> One can also say that authors should not have explicit control over
> whether hyperlinks are underlined or not.

The difference is that underlining is presentation, spell checking is
not.  The functionality of a link cannot be changed with CSS, likewise
spell checking shouldn't either.

>> Besides, spell checking *is not*  presentation, it is UA functionality
>> and so it does not belong in the presentation layer.
>
> Visual elements      <=> Presentation
> Interactive elements <=> Behavior
>
> I think these are similar relationships.

I don't understand your point here.

> BTW, isn't the "cursor" CSS property about behavior?

What?  How is it?  It just declares the desired presentation of the
cursor, what behaviour does it have?

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/