[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

White Lynx whitelynx at operamail.com
Sat Jun 17 06:18:06 PDT 2006

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> "Web application technologies SHOULD BE BASED ON technologies
> > authors are familiar with,
> > including HTML, CSS, DOM, AND JAVASCRIPT"
>
> As it would work with that, it's not really a problem.

How it will work with CSS? New parsing rules at least does not improve anything
and in reality take maths further from XML+CSS.

> > "Basic Web application features SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTABLE using behaviors,
> > scripting, and style sheets IN IE6 TODAY"
>
> I guess that's possible.

Put style sheet, script or whatever you keep in mind on the table.

> > "The core features of an XML vocabulary should require the use of elements
> > from ONLY ONE NAMESPACE."
>
> Is math really a core feature?

Yes.

> Does it matter if we keep compatibility
> with existing (deployed) formats in mind?

If you introduce extra parsing rules then you break compatibility with
existing (mis)deployed format.

> > "IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that authors BE ABLE TO MOVE FROM AN HTML ENVIRONMENT
> > TO A CLEAN COMPOUND DOCUMENT ENVIRONMENT (typically first simply by
> > moving to XHTML) IN A GRADUAL FASHION."
>
> That seems to be what Ian is proposing (for math), more or less.

MathML support is binary, either it is supported natively or you see complete mess in browser.
Ian's proposal does not change its nature. What we propopse is gradual transition, with fallback mechanisms
that provide basic functinality in existing browsers.